Saturday, February 12, 2011

Love

A while back, Lindsay had lost a ring in my room at the apartment.  For any of you that know how I feel about clean rooms, well you know that 9 out of 10 times my room is not clean.  I knew that it was going to be a struggle to find her ring and a couple of months after I decided to call off the search, it showed up.  It is very funny how things show up randomly over time.  As I picked the ring up, I noticed that it had a word engraved on it.  "1 Corinthians 13:4-8".  I had no idea what the verse was until I looked it up:

"Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.  But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."
-1 Corinthians 13:4-8

With this weekend being Valentines day weekend, it is only right to dedicate this blog to the word "love".  What does the word "love" mean?  I feel like this is where a lot of people start questioning what love really is and whether they have possessed true love or not.  I believe that the word love is one of the most important words in the world due to the fact that it is a commandment that we receive when we ask what the most important commandment is:

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?"  Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
-Matthew 22:36-40

Love is a strong word, I believe 99.9% of people will agree with that statement.  I won't say 100% because we all know that there are some people in the world who are just weird about stuff like that.   I will also go out on the limb and say that majority of the people in this world have been hurt by the word love.  The word love can be thrown out so easily now days.  You can walk down the road and hear a "love ya man" or you can get off the phone with your significant other and hear the words "I love you".  It has so many different definitions that it makes me sick.  I think its another worldly term that we have thrown together and forgot what love really is.  I think love is more than just a feeling that someone has for another.  Anyone can have a feeling for someone and call it love.  The true question is, does the love that we profess we have cover all the aspects of the definition that we can find in 1st Corinthians 13:4-8?  That is true love, that is what love is supposed to be and that is how love is supposed to be expressed.

With Valentines coming up, I would first like for all of you to know that I love Chocolate.  So if you have some laying around from the festivities, I am always willing to help dispose of it.  But more importantly.  The chocolate, teddy bears, roses, etc. are important and can show someone you care for them but I don't think that it shows that you love them.  I think the word "Love" can be expressed in four different ways:

1- 1st Corinthians 13:4-8.
2- Gods love for us.
3- Jesus.
4-Holy Spirit.

While writing this blog I couldn't help but to think of this song that a friend showed me a couple months:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73kZ6wBoqTk
-JDB

No comments:

Post a Comment