Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fish Bowl Cont.

To be completely honest with you, I don't know why I am titling this post Fish Bowl. I guess if I had to answer, I would answer along these lines. People are always watching fish inside their bowls. Watching every movement and everything that they do. The same for the ministers of the church. The main thing people watch for is a minister to mess up. So, they watch them as if they are watching fish in a fish bowl. Watching every movement, waiting for them to mess up. What I do know at this moment is I can not sleep. It is currently 4:46 am and I feel like I may stay awake for McDonald's to open up and get a warm breakfast.

If you haven't read any of 1 Timothy in the bible, I would suggest that you turn there and read the 3rd chapter before you continue. In the 3rd chapter we see that Paul writes to Timothy and points out how Overseers and Deacons should live their life. In that Paul points out many ways that they should live. All of which are very important. He mentions a lot but one that stuck out in my mind was the one in the middle. For some reason it scares me to think about verse 5: "If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?" At this present time I don't have a family, I do however have a beautiful Girlfriend. But reading through all of these descriptions, that is the one that stands out the most to me. What if I get down the line and start a youth ministry, but can't handle my own immediate family? A lot of "What if's". Then the last part of the chapter strikes my attention also. Verse 15: "...you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth."

Are we living our life this way? I don't think this text is just for the people inside the church (ministers/deacons). I think this text is for everyone, Christians. As Christians we need to be aware that we are in that fish bowl also. Non believers are watching our every move. Even when we are least expecting it. I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes of all time:

-"Witness all the time, when necessary use words"

No comments:

Post a Comment